Sunday, July 3, 2011

Stepping into the Forest

Recently I read a wonderful book about perseverance. There is a story about two men on a journey that have to decide if they will travel through a dangerous forest. One man stays at the edge of the woods, afraid to be attacked by thieves amongst the trees. The other makes the journey. His journey is not without challenges. He hides from criminals and wild animals. But he stepped into the forest, braved the hurdles and he made it through.

I haven't written in a published format for years. I teach elementary school students and a few paragraphs of 1st grade writing samples on a classroom board are as much as I've put out lately. I ran into an old friend at a party who introduced me as a writer to his girlfriend. I had forgotten that writing was ever a passion for me. It was like a giant suitcase of tools and samples that were buried in the back of a closet. My writing had become something to be discovered years from now and not for the present. That bothered me.

Recently, I've had a lot of conversations about a friend who passed away only weeks ago. My friend had a "why not" attitude about most things. His husband encouraged me to write again. "Why not?" So, here I am, stepping int the forest. I really can't fail at this. Failing was standing at the edge all that time.

I won't give any apologies for my writing. It's a process. It's a journey. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful inaugural post on your brand spankin' new blog! You have so much goodness to share, I'm glad other will be able to benefit from it.

    ReplyDelete