Saturday, March 24, 2012

Where do I begin?

Ok, I've been gone for a long time. I have good reason. I have been busy living life.  Where do I begin?

First, I am 50 pounds lighter. Exactly 6 months ago, I realized that I had been trying to solve a lot of problems with food.   I gave up alcohol, sugar, cheese, wheat and fried foods, and I found a smaller, healthier, happier human being. My blood pressure is now normal without medication. My finances look better (people that eat compulsively without identifying the problem usually don't recognize how much money is spent on those food items). I enjoy yoga now because my smaller frame can move easier than before.  Life is good.

My spirit feels like it's a little less burdened. I still don't believe in leaving my problems on an alter.  I do however give more of those worries up to the universe and then I listen on how I should move forward. There is a plan bigger than anything I could dream up. I am directing less and listening more to what the world has for me. My actions are based on faith and not on fear. That feels graceful and full of peace.

As for mentoring, well, I have found more than ten young people to support. I go back to my old side of town monthly to tutor preschoolers. I found this opportunity through United We Serve, the nationwide service initiate dedicated to help during the economic downturn.  Twice a week I'm coaching 3rd-5th graders through the program Girls On the Run, a non-profit prevention program aimed at preteen girls to develop self-esteem and healthy lifestyles.   I am also starting work with an individual on research to support the benefits of same-race or alumni mentoring for at-risk children. There has also been discussions of working with an organization to provide flexible hours to free up volunteers to work with students after school hours. My focus is on putting ideas into action. Those baby steps are slowly adding up.

Again, life is good. Stay tuned on where this will take me next.

1 comment: